Past perfect continuous
'Past perfect CONTINUOUS' kipinin işlevleri
'Past perfect continuous' kipi 'present perfect continuous' kipi ile aynıdır, fakat 'şu andan önce' bir zamanı belirtir. 'Present perfect continuous' kipinde olduğu gibi, süreç ile daha ilgili oluruz.
- Had you been waiting long before the taxi arrived?
- We had been trying to open the door for five minutes when Jane found her key.
- It had been raining hard for several hours and the streets were very wet.
- Her friends had been thinking of calling the police when she walked in.
Bu yapı aynı zamanda dolaylı anlatım için kullanılır. Bu yapı dolaylı anlatımda 'past continuous' ve 'present perfect continuous' kiplerine karşılık gelir:
- Jane said, "I have been gardening all afternoon." = Jane said she had been gardening all afternoon.
- When the police questioned him, John said, "I was working late in the office that night." = When the police questioned him, John told them he had been working late in the office that night.
'Past perfect CONTINUOUS' kipini oluşturma
'Past perfect continuous' kipi iki unsurdan oluşur - to be fiilinin 'past perfect' hali (=had been) + durum ortacı (kök+ing).
|Özne||had been||fiil + ing|
|Olumsuz Soru Cümlesi|
To buy, 'past perfect CONTINUOUS'
|I had been buying||I hadn't been buying||Had I been buying?|
|You had been buying||You hadn't been buying||Had you been buying?|
|She had been buying||She hadn't been buying||Had she been buying?|
|We had been buying||We hadn't been buying||Had we been buying?|
|They had been buying||They hadn't been buying||Had they been buying?|